A lot of scary firsts today. My warm up was, overall, wobbly and difficult, but I’m trying to tell myself that that’s a normal thing (See resolution below). I also tried not to worry about my voice sounding and feeling a little different today. It’s most likely tired after yesterday, and my throat is probably drying out due to the caffeine I’ve been drinking.
Pre-warm up drink: Lemon Ginger tea, lots of water throughout
- Normal breathing exercises. Made it up to 40 counts!
Training length: 15 minutes
Vvv Zzz Jshh (Bb-G)
- Took it easy this time. Didn’t try to belt out the high notes
Vowel Salad (Db-F)
- New. Was a bit careful with and afraid of it. This note will apply to all new exercises today.
‘Ii’ to the ‘Ooh’ to the ‘Ah’ (C-G)
- Sort of new. I’d never tried this with vowels before. See training day 1. It was a little challenging
Five Note Phrases (C-F#)
- Even this exercise was difficult today. See resolution below.
Extending the Range
Up Down Change Vowel (Bb-Bb)
- This wasn’t any different. I think I might have failed several times.
Bigger Better Best (A*-Bb)
- New. This was scary. A lot of closed sounds and ‘Bs.’
Afternoon Stroll (C-Bb)
- New. This was the easiest of the harder exercises, probably because I was more warmed up (also lots of Ms and ‘ahs’)
(Bonus) Extending the Range
Curly Scales (Bb-Bb)
- New. Pretty bad, pitch wise. I kept forgetting the notes.
- Don’t give up. Not every training session will be pristine. It’s also only the 6th day. Be patient with yourself.
- Avoid coffee and other caffeinated drinks.
- Avoid dairy.
- Drink lots of water.
- Get Throat Coat.
- Rest as much as you can, vocally and physically.
*The range of Bigger Better Best is C-Bb on the list of exercises, but is A-Bb on the scale.
Song practice: “Thuy’s Intervention” from Miss Saigon. It’s one of my auditions so I thought I might as well get a run of it in. My G (top note) was solid.